I'm pleased to say that Silje from Norway will be joining our family on September 11, 2010. She is a sweet person and we are looking forward to another wonderful year with a person from another Scandinavian country. I love the scandinavian culture and the people and their wonderful hearts and love of children and family. My family has been so blessed to have girls from Sweden, Finland, and now Norway. Our German and Austrian aupairs have been wonderful young people too. All of these countries are so rich in culture, language, and beauty. I'm so happy that my children have had the opportunity to learn to count in Swedish, Finnish, and German. We have familiar books in these languages and the kids are like sponges. They absorb so much quickly. Words, sounds, and songs....it is truly amazing. Things that I would think the kids would have forgotten over the years, they STILL remember, especially the songs. Gillian came to me one day and wanted me to bounce her on my knees and sing a song similar to "Giddy Up Pony" only she wanted me to sing it in Swedish...um...let's just say I had to sing it in English beacause I couldn't remember the words. The great part was that Gillian remembered the words!!! So, I bounced her while she sang. Just the neatest thing. Also, I find Gillian singing in the car and I originally thought she was just babbling, but in reality she was singing a pop song from a Swedish band that our aupair Karin used to listen to. It truly is amazing what our kids learn and retain.
I took the whole family shopping today, what a treat for the OTHER shoppers to experience! I almost never take anyone shopping with me on the weekend unless I absolutely have to. When I need to get cleaning supplies, toiletries, and groceries, I like to go on my own. It is just faster than taking the whole gang along and I have a couple of hours of peace and quiet. I know that sounds selfish but I keep my sanity that way. Anyway, I got it into my head that I'd just take everyone with me. We went out for lunch, I picked up Erin's prescription for her thyroid condition, went to Target for cleaning supplies, toilet paper, paper towels, and other sundry items. The Target that I shop at has been remodeling the store to add on a new grocery area. That means that the entire store has been completely reorganized. It is next to impossible to find anything. I've been avoiding it for weeks and only going when I absolutely have to have something for the house. Cris and I and the kids wandered all throught the store today just taking our time figuring out where things are now. It wasn't too bad. The kids are so curious and love to look at everything and touch everything. I had to bribe them into behaving until we got to the toy section then I just let them wander around and look as much as they wanted. They each wanted new toys but I told them that they needed to decide which toys they wanted to give away from home to other kids before we could buy anything new. That actually worked. Gillian was thinking out loud about it all the way home. I decided to really get all the shopping completed, so I talked my husband into also going to the grocery store with me and the kids too. They had a ball helping me pick out the fruits and veggies. I didn't realize how much fun you can make it for kids, like a game. Of course you have to keep your eye on them at all times, and they are loud, and the word WALK is not in their vocabulary. They just want to get to the next task. A bit nerve racking for me, but fun for them. I think I can only handle this occasionally. Next week's shopping trip will be just me, me, and well me.



1 comment:
Yes rember the days of begging not for date night but for an afternoon at walmart by my self!!! Great blog:)
Post a Comment