Monday, November 14, 2005

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner....

Has arrived!! The PIGS I mean. They showed up at the FFA farm on Saturday, 27 of them. Frances walked over on Sunday to take a look at them. They are about 140-150 lbs a piece. I thought she was getting one of those cute little porkers with the pink tails...noooooooooooo, these things are already half grown. I guess considering these pigs have to put on about 300-400 lbs between now and spring, it helps to have a little extra weight on the front end of the process. I'm sorry, I'm referring the "Pigs" incorrectly...Technically they are considered "commercial hogs." Boy I'm not sure, but if I were a pig, I think I might be offended by that language. "commercial Hog!!", indeed!!

Frances went out and bought her black rubber boots in preparation to clean the pen. She also bought a lock for the boot locker to prevent her boots from "disappearing." I think she gets to pick her animal today. She liked one of the brown ones, but she said there were some black and white spotted ones too. Unfortunately she's going to get last pick because she doesn't have agriculture class today, so she will have to pick from the left overs that are not chosen by Monday's class. She's planning on stopping by after school today to talk with her teacher. I think there is only 10 pens to house 27 animals, so 3 pigs per pen is going to be the housing arrangement. Frances has partnered with two other kids already, so they are working out the feeding schedule and cleaning schedule so that 7 days a week are covered. I think we live the closest to the farm, so it's not going to be much trouble on our end, I don't think.

Frances, Nathan, and Gillian (second shot), all got their flu shots last Friday. That went well. Everyone seem to tolerate them ok. Erin and Gillian had already received theirs about a month ago, but Frances and Nathan were sick so they didn't get them at the same time as Erin and Gilly. Gilly had to take two shots this year a month apart. So we are done with that.

Erin went to a birthday slumber party over the weekend. Frances went along too not because Erin needed support but because the parent whose child was having the party wanted some extra supervision for 15 or so girls. Normally I would have stayed overnight, but Gillian is still little and frankly I just wasn't up to chaperoning somebody else's party. Does this make me a bad mom? I think what happened was that some moms who had originally agreed to chaperone backed out. When this mom asked me if I could chaperone initially, I said no. So I didn't feel so bad about sticking with my answer. I did ask Frances though if she wouldn't mind helping out. Thankfully there were several other teenagers there her age, so it wasn't a big deal to her.

Let's see what else...My parents and brother and girlfriend will be arriving this Friday. I haven't seen my brother in a couple of years, so I'm excited that he's decided to come with my mom and dad to spend Thanksgiving with us. We will have a house full, but somehow I'm sure everything will work out fine. It's so hard getting ready. Its seems like you straighten and straighten but everything still seems to be messy and unorganized. I'm still hoping to shampoo the family room carpets before Friday...That means maybe Cris and I can do them tonight and that will give us a few days for them to dry. I hope, I hope, I hope.....

I went out bought the (paper) decorative dinner plates and napkins for the table. I don't have enough matching plates, so if figured I'd get by with matching Thanksgiving paper products. I did buy new glassware and I'll be using the beautifully restored antique silverware that my dad gave me a few years ago for Christmas. I found some beautiful candle holders at Pier 1 Imports for $2 a piece and my new stemware was $2 a piece. I bought classic stuff, so if the glasses get broken they will be easily replaceable. Thanksgiving is my most favorite holiday. I love to prepare the meal and have people come and sit and enjoy the day. I never know how its going to turn out until the actual day, but most times everything works out fine. I'll take pictures and post how it all turns out. Cris invited his mom and dad and Ted and family, but still don't know if they will come. They have not committed, so I'll just plan for them just in case. It never hurts to have a little extra anyway. Planning on playing a little jazz music while we gather and eat, some games for the kids, and trivia for the adults. I want it to be a fun day for all. The menu so far is as follows:

appetizer/Snacks:
Roast Beef wraps
Roasted Turkey wraps
Cheese bites
with Crackers

Salads:
Spring Mix salad with fresh onions, carrots, mushrooms, cucumber, tomato, raisins, sunflower seeds, and mandarin oranges

Fresh Fruit Salad

Ambrosia Salad

Main Course:

Fried Turkey (Cris and my brother to man the outside turkey fryer)

Baked Ham

Roasted Butternut Squash

Green Bean Cassarole

Roasted garlic and onion Mushrooms

Mashed Potatoes

Homemade Cornbread Dressing

Giblet Gravy

Fresh Cranberry Sauce

Dinner Rolls


Desserts:

Homemade Pumpkin Roll
Homemade Pumpkin Pie
Homemade Apple Pie
Homemake Pumpkin Spice Cake
Homemade Lemon Sorbet (Want to use my new ice cream maker)
Homemade Orange Sorbet (Just to show off)

That should work out to be about 5000 calories!!! Can you tell I'm excited!!



1 comment:

Marci said...

Yikes, you are very ambitious! Are you taking the entire month off of work to prepare for all this?! LOL! Our Thanksgiving dinner is maybe half that, probably not even that, lol.

Sounds like Frances is very excited about the "commercial hogs." Sounds like a lot of yucky, dirty work to me, but it is sure a good thing someone is up to the task...I'm too much of a wimp, lol! Tell her good going for me!

I wouldn't feel bad *at all* about not staying...I'm sure it made Erin feel very grown up and independent. :-) You have your hands full enough. BTW, what kind of crazy mom lets 15 girls sleep over?! LOL!