The kids are all back in school as of yesterday. Cris and I are back at work as well. The Christmas break was much too short for all of us. Gillian enjoyed her first Christmas for the most part. She did have a run in with the Christmas tree a few days after Christmas. Needless to say, she lost. I'm not exactly sure what happened, except that I think she was trying to pull up or pull one of the ornaments off the tree and slipped and fell into the tree whereby the tree decided to eat her. She looked like she'd been in a heck of a fight with bleeding scratches on her forehead and cheek and hand. Poor little thing. She just looked a mess. I was cooking in the kitchen and did not specifically say to a more responsible child that they needed to watch over her. I just assumed (lesson learned, never assume) or trusted rather (lesson learned, trust but verify) that Frances or Erin would keep an eye on her for me. Anyway thankfully she didn't put an eye out. Just a few scratches that have healed already.
Nathan is fascinated with "Mismas". He can't say Christmas, but he says "Mismas" pretty darn well among other things like "Mama, look at the liiiiiiightssssssss." He loves the lights on the Christmas tree and makes an effort every morning to go and turn them on himself. I don't know how he's going to take it when we put the tree and lights and ornaments and decorations away this weekend.
Everyone got something they wanted this year. Let's see Frances got a new electric guitar. She's been practicing a lot with her acoustic guitar, but several of her friends have electric ones so she decided she wanted one too this year. We actually got it in November but we wouldn't let her have it until Christmas...Aren't we mean!
Erin wanted a drum set, but I wasn't sure I could handle the banging, so she got a Barbie guitar along with the headset and strap. I caught her standing in the middle of her bed playing it like a rock star the other day. She was singing at the top of her lungs....Oh, no, what have we created!
Nathan got a little keyboard, but he really wanted to play with Erin's guitar more. So that was a bit of a struggle on Christmas morn. He also got some Thomas the Tank Engine building blocks that kept him busy all of about 15 minutes at which point he decided that everybody else's gifts were way more fun than his.
Gillian got some soft interactive books "Peek-a-Boo" etc. Nathan really liked these too. Gillian has at least found her voice and doesn't let Nathan get away with taking her toys. She quite loudly voices her opinions about this.
Now, the good stuff, Cris bought me a portable island for my kitchen. It has a granite countertop and is on wheels. I LOVE IT!!! You have no idea! This thing is the greatest! I can move it all around the kitchen from one place to the next, cooking, baking, chopping, serving, etc. I just LOVE IT.
He and kids also got me a new leather purse from Brighton. I'd been wanting one for a long time, but they are kinda pricey so I couldn't ever bring myself to buy it.
Cris got a 4 new tires and fancy wheels for his suburban. He picked these out himself without anybody's help. And the kids and I got him a "Hot Shot". It's a new device used by backpackers to heat water or food. It's a nice little self contained unit. I'd been wanting to replace his backpacking stove for a while, but decided this might be something he'd like too, and Frances told me that he had been looking at it the previous year but never bought it. Although Cris has not backpacked overnight for a long long time, I thought he would still like it. And it would come in handy in an emergency if needed. Also, Nathan is getting bigger, so I figure they'll be doing some back packing and hiking together at some point on those upcoming father-son bonding outings. That's the rationale Frances and I used to convince ourselves to buy it for him.
The kids got clothes and pjs too. Gillian got a new pair of velcro sneakers (so cute on her).
I cooked a small pork roast for Christmas dinner and we had salad and veggies. Not a huge feast like Thanksgiving. Since we were spending Christmas alone as a family this year, we were pretty low key.
New Year's was low key too. I made spaghetti and garlic bread for New Year's eve and cranberry bread. Erin, Nathan, and Gillian didn't make it to midnight, so it was just Cris and me, and Frances and a friend of hers from school who rang in the new year. We drank sparkling apple cider (out of my birthday present from October - beautiful emerald green Kosvo crystal champagne flutes) and ate cranberry bread off my brand new granite counter topped portable kitchen island.
Is it just me or do the years seem to be passing in a flash as we get older?
Nathan is fascinated with "Mismas". He can't say Christmas, but he says "Mismas" pretty darn well among other things like "Mama, look at the liiiiiiightssssssss." He loves the lights on the Christmas tree and makes an effort every morning to go and turn them on himself. I don't know how he's going to take it when we put the tree and lights and ornaments and decorations away this weekend.
Everyone got something they wanted this year. Let's see Frances got a new electric guitar. She's been practicing a lot with her acoustic guitar, but several of her friends have electric ones so she decided she wanted one too this year. We actually got it in November but we wouldn't let her have it until Christmas...Aren't we mean!
Erin wanted a drum set, but I wasn't sure I could handle the banging, so she got a Barbie guitar along with the headset and strap. I caught her standing in the middle of her bed playing it like a rock star the other day. She was singing at the top of her lungs....Oh, no, what have we created!
Nathan got a little keyboard, but he really wanted to play with Erin's guitar more. So that was a bit of a struggle on Christmas morn. He also got some Thomas the Tank Engine building blocks that kept him busy all of about 15 minutes at which point he decided that everybody else's gifts were way more fun than his.
Gillian got some soft interactive books "Peek-a-Boo" etc. Nathan really liked these too. Gillian has at least found her voice and doesn't let Nathan get away with taking her toys. She quite loudly voices her opinions about this.
Now, the good stuff, Cris bought me a portable island for my kitchen. It has a granite countertop and is on wheels. I LOVE IT!!! You have no idea! This thing is the greatest! I can move it all around the kitchen from one place to the next, cooking, baking, chopping, serving, etc. I just LOVE IT.
He and kids also got me a new leather purse from Brighton. I'd been wanting one for a long time, but they are kinda pricey so I couldn't ever bring myself to buy it.
Cris got a 4 new tires and fancy wheels for his suburban. He picked these out himself without anybody's help. And the kids and I got him a "Hot Shot". It's a new device used by backpackers to heat water or food. It's a nice little self contained unit. I'd been wanting to replace his backpacking stove for a while, but decided this might be something he'd like too, and Frances told me that he had been looking at it the previous year but never bought it. Although Cris has not backpacked overnight for a long long time, I thought he would still like it. And it would come in handy in an emergency if needed. Also, Nathan is getting bigger, so I figure they'll be doing some back packing and hiking together at some point on those upcoming father-son bonding outings. That's the rationale Frances and I used to convince ourselves to buy it for him.
The kids got clothes and pjs too. Gillian got a new pair of velcro sneakers (so cute on her).
I cooked a small pork roast for Christmas dinner and we had salad and veggies. Not a huge feast like Thanksgiving. Since we were spending Christmas alone as a family this year, we were pretty low key.
New Year's was low key too. I made spaghetti and garlic bread for New Year's eve and cranberry bread. Erin, Nathan, and Gillian didn't make it to midnight, so it was just Cris and me, and Frances and a friend of hers from school who rang in the new year. We drank sparkling apple cider (out of my birthday present from October - beautiful emerald green Kosvo crystal champagne flutes) and ate cranberry bread off my brand new granite counter topped portable kitchen island.
Is it just me or do the years seem to be passing in a flash as we get older?



1 comment:
What a great holiday! Can't wait to see some pictures, hint, hint, lol!!
Post a Comment