Friday, January 20, 2006

Harvest Time

Frances' pig was harvested yesterday morning. They do it around 6 am, so she did not participate. She had her last two finals yesterday and didn't want to get up at crack-o-dawn to go over to the farm. Also, that part was not a requirement. In about two weeks the meat company will contact us to find out what cuts we want like bacon, ham, chops, sausages etc. I guess the meat has to cure/age for a couple of weeks before it is processed.

Frances animal for the County Fair will be a lamb. This one will be for the purposes of showing and for sale. She has to take one summer school course in Ag to practice the showing and judging techniques. Then in August they load up all the animals and head to the fair for the competitions. She is so excited. I think they will get these animals in late February or early March.

Frances want to attend the FFA State Conference this year, but they only take one freshman and competition is pretty heavy this year. Frances went to talk to her teacher about it last week and emphasized her desire to be a part of the conference. She impressed me so much by taking the initiative to go and talk to her instructor and lay out how she thinks she is a qualified candidate and should be chosen. I think her teacher a two other advisors make the decision. As I understand it, the decision is based on class participation, grades, farm work, and having raised an animal, previous competitions (Frances placed in two of the previous local competitions - the only one from her high school team to do so). I think she's got a pretty good chance to get it, but you never know. Keep your fingers crossed for her. She really loves this program and its wonderful to see her so enthused about Agriculture.

1 comment:

Marci said...

That is so cool that she's found something so young that she is so interested in. I hope she gets to attend her conference, sounds as if she really deserves it!