Frances and Erin both had school enrollment today. I decided to work from home today rather than Friday so that I could go with Erin and Frances to pick up their schedules. Erin's school had a mini orientation for the 6th graders. Frances wanted me to go with her to the high school to register but when we got there most of the sophomores were not with their parents, so she was keen for me to get lost, which was fine becuase I'd already paid all her fees online anyway. And as those of you who have teenagers understand, parents at this age are the "bank" and not much good for anything else except for maybe some food too.
Erin ran into several teachers who remembered her from last year, so that was fun to see Erin so welcomed again. She picked up her schedule and she's enrolled in 2 language arts periods, 2 reading periods, 1 math period, PE, and Art (Erin's preferred elective). Due to the classroom setting that Erin is in, the typical social studies and science coursework is modified and is part of the life skills element emphasized throughout the day. They cook in the classroom, practice measuring, etc. The classroom also takes frequent field trips to practice reading the bus schedules, maps, practice communication skills and social interaction skills with people who are not friends or family. They will also focus on puberty issues this year as well focusing on staying safe and what is and is not appropriate when interacting with friends, family, and strangers. This should be very interesting.
Frances is taking Algebra II, World History, French 2 (but this is her 3rd year because she took French 1 in both 8th and 9th grades), PE, Agriculture FFA, and Language Arts. Her STAR testing indicated a strengh in language arts, she tested in the advanced range. Math skills, were considered average. The thing is that she's totally capable in Math, but just doesn't have the interest in it; so she doesn't study as much as she should which means when she could easily earn an A or B, she only does just enough to slip by with a C. Geometry just wasn't her thing last year. When she took Algebra I in 8th grade, she did well, so we are hoping that it was just the geometry that she hated so much. I keep thinking back to my geometry class in high school and I remember how much I hated it. Maybe she inherited MY geometry hate gene. Hey, I haven't needed it in 25 years....maybe she won't either (lol).



1 comment:
LOL about geometry! I agree, it is a totally different kind of math. Julia has it this year so it will be interesting to see. She actually wasn't that keen on algebra so maybe it will be the opposite for her, but I don't honestly think she is the spatially-oriented type. I think it may have had more to do with having had algebra first period!
Post a Comment