Monday, August 08, 2005

And so it begins.....

Cris and I got a letter from the school district advising us that Erin has been assigned to a school outside our home school area and that she is going to be moved to a special day class. Hmmm....wonder how they are going to do that without our consent!!! Seeing as we did not agree, nor did we sign anything that approved of a change in Erin's placement. We specifically requested that Erin was to remain in our home school in a regular education classroom with an aide to support her just as we have done over her entire school history. Our parental rights are that no changes in Erin's placement can occur unless we have agreed in writing. So I'm still just baffled as to how this district's Special Ed Director thinks she can make this happen without our consent. And the woman will not call back. I've left voice messages and email messages. I guess she just thinks we'll go away. Oh My Goodness!!! I'm feeling frustrated and angry, and frankly more than anything else "outraged" that they think they can do this and get away with it. I was half expecting it, but I figured we'd get a letter taking us to mediation, not an outright placement letter. So, it begins. This is going to be a long battle and one we don't intend to lose. Erin is OUR child, not the school districts and we, her parents, have the final say in any educational plan.

I gotta calm down, but if anybody is reading this, I would certainly appreciate your prayers, thoughts, and good wishes for Erin and our continued interaction with the "school system." Please pray for a fair outcome on this issue. One where Erin can be fully included with her peers and not have to prove herself worthy of being in a regular education classroom. Pray specifically for me to keep my emotions and temper in check when dealing with stupid people who do not see Erin as a person but simply a drain on the school's budget, which by the way, my tax dollars pay for. Please pray for us that we will make the right decisions for Erin. She's 10 years old and I feel like we have to justify her worthiness as a person to the whole world. I don't know, maybe I'm the one who's being stupid. Last but not least, please pray for Erin, that her little mind will continue to grow and comprehend at her pace and in her time. Pray that she find strength in her family and those who love her when others are calling her "stupid", or spitting on her (yes spitting on her literally, for no reason) just because she's different. Pray that she might continue to show the loving compassion, kindness, and forgiveness of Christ that she exhibits everyday to everyone around her in the face of unacceptance by teachers, other children, and ultimately the world at large, just because she was born with one extra chromosome.

1 comment:

Marci said...

Donna, we will be keeping your family in prayers. I had no idea you were having to deal with so much stuff from the school district still. Do you mind if I share your prayer request?