Monday, August 22, 2005

Quiet House

Erin and Frances are with their grandmother until tomorrow night. Cris and I took them over this past Friday night. When we got home on Saturday and all day Sunday, it just seemed that the hustle and bustle of the household took on a subdued quietness, even though we still have the two loudest, most demanding little members of the household with us. I didn't get the, "mom I'm hungry", or the "mom, can I go ride my bike." Even the subtle sounds that come from the office when you're sitting in the computer chair, you know those squeaks and turns. I didn't hear them, and they made the house seem soooo quiet. Also, I usually hear Erin's TV in the play room, but nothing. Its the low roar that one ignores during the normal course of life, but when it's gone, you can hear it!! I don't like it. I would much rather have all those little noises. They provide comfort in my mind; it's a knowing that my kids are nearby and safe.

I have two extremes right now. Nathan who won't eat anything or very little, and Ms. Gillian, who tries to eat everything and anything. And she gets mad when you take the food away. For some reason Grandma was teasing Gillian with a cracker on Saturday, and Gillian was like, "either you give it to me, or else." She was trying to stuff a 2 x 2 square into her tiny mouth and fretting about it the whole time. I kept asking Grandma to watch her so she didn't get any big chunks and accidentally swallow them. Finally, I just took the whole cracker away and well, that was not the thing to do... let's just say Gillian was not pleased.

Nathan got his first haircut on Saturday too. We tried to get pictures, but they were mostly of him screaming in the chair and Cris trying to hold him still. I'll post a couple just so you can see what a great experience that was for both Nathan and his dad. Yeah, I thought it would go better than that, but NOT. Nathan's newest pastime is pitching a fit...about anything that is displeasing. I don't know, but I'm ready for the terrible twos to be over with NOW!! I keep wondering if Frances and Erin did this. My mind keeps telling me that Erin and Frances were not this bad, but maybe I just purged the memory and in my old age I've just forgotten what it was like.



Not thrilled...














Even less thrilled...















The end result, still not thrilled, but very manly...

No comments: